Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large rib of celery, rinsed and cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 small fennel bulb, halved (optional)
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 5 cups water
- 1 medium tomato, halved
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 small dried red chile pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Place olive oil in a medium saucepan. Warm over medium-high heat. Add the carrot, celery, onion, and fennel (if using), and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, until vegetables just begin to soften. Add the garlic cloves and saute for 1 minute longer.
Add the water, tomato, soy sauce, sea salt, basil, thyme, chile and black pepper. Raise the heat and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium and simmer for about 25 minutes.
Remove the vegetables, and strain the stock if desired.
Stock may be kept covered in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.